- Broadcom Inc. publicized sampling of its 5nm ASIC device for data center and cloud infrastructure.
- 5nm ASIC device for data center and cloud infrastructure is developed on TSMC’s N5 process, measuring 625 mm2.
Infrastructure and data center solutions by Broadcom Inc.
Broadcom Inc. is a leading developer and supplier of a massive range of infrastructure and semiconductor software solutions.
Broadcom Inc. publicized sampling of its 5nm ASIC device for data center and cloud infrastructure. 5nm is an enhanced technology platform that boosts silicon innovation across 5G wireless, artificial intelligence (AI), and high-performance infrastructure markets.
5nm ASIC device for data center and cloud infrastructure is developed on TSMC’s N5 process, measuring 625 mm2. Further, this device incorporates 3.6-Tbps Die2Die PHY IP, PCIe Gen5 protocol, HBM2e memory operating at 3.6 Gbps, and 112-Gbps SerDes by using TSMC CoWoS interposer technology.
Additionally, Broadcom has numerous ASIC devices in development targeting 5G wireless infrastructure, artificial intelligence, and high-performance computing (HPC) applications.
Highlights of 5nm technology portfolio
- Enhanced packaging solutions comprising 2.5D stacking and multi-chip modules
- High-speed multi-protocol 32-Gbps, 64-Gbps, 112-Gbps SerDes cores
- High-density and high-performance standard cell libraries and memory compilers
- HBM3 and HBM2e protocol solution
- High bandwidth Die2Die PHY for silicon disaggregation and multi-die SoC
Advantages of 5nm ASIC platform compared to the previous generation
- There are cost and system size reduction with advanced packaging solutions
- For inference and training application, it increases two times in on-die computation
- Approximately 30% reduction in power per given work function
- Two to four times rise in memory bandwidth with HBM3 PHY and HBM2e
- Two times higher bandwidth serial links with 112-Gbps SerDes
Dr. Kevin Zhang, Vice President (VP) of Business Development at TSMC, commented: “Broadcom’s pioneering ASIC leverages both N5, the industry’s most advanced silicon technology, and our high-performance CoWoS integration solution to address the demanding requirements of next-generation cloud and data center applications.” Further, he added, “We’re excited to see the new applications Broadcom’s ASIC platform will enable and look forward to a continued partnership to empower end customers and their innovations.”
Frank Ostojic, Senior Vice President (SVP) and General Manager at Broadcom Limited, commented: “This first-to-market 5nm ASIC extends Broadcom’s embedded SoC leadership and paves the way for innovations across AI, HPC, 5G, and hyper-scale infrastructure applications.” Further, he added, “Our innovative IP, proven design methodology, and partnership with TSMC continue to provide leadership solutions with power, performance, and time to market advantage for our customers.”